Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring Tips - Eco Friendly Way!

It's TIP TIME!  EEEE!  I get so stinkin' excited when I get to share tips and treasures, and typically when I am posting, it's because I have a reason. 


So I'm opening all of my windows the other day to let in this gorgeous fresh air.  When I see it.  Cobwebs.  Spider webs.  And little things that I don't WANT to know what it is hanging to my screen.  I scream.  My husband comes running inside prepped with one shoe off of his crusty man foot ready to kill whatever it is that made his precious wife scream.  (I'm seriously scared of spiders for whatever reason - childhood trauma I'm sure).

After I stop laughing at him hobbling around mumbling "very funny dear", I tell him what caused my traumatic response.  Dude.  SERIOUSLY?  Friggen spider webs and like - wasps nests in my windows?  HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN TO ME!?  So I stopped everything that I was doing, put on my Aunt Jemima bandana, snapped on my rubber gloves, dusted off my bucket and scrubby thingies, and broke out the vacuum cleaner (then I put it away since we're in MEGA SPRING ENERGY CONSERVATION MODE - post to come later).  Armed and ready to attack the disgustingness that had built up over the winter. 



So here we are - with some ECO FRIENDLY CLEANING TIPS!  WOOP WOOP!

1.  CLEANING WINDOWS CHEMICAL FREE
I am not one to lie and say that I like cleaning windows.  Because I don't like to do it.  But hey - we have to clean those things so we can see the beauty outside!  But I don't like using spray cleaners a whole lot.  I do use some, but not that often. 

For cleaning your windows, good old fashioned vinegar and water works wonders.  Use old newspapers instead of paper towels.  

Here's the low down on the mix:  2 parts water to 1 part vinegar.  So, if you put half gallon of water, put a 1/4 gallon of vinegar.  Now, you can make that as strong or as weak as you like.  Depending on your personal preference.  

Vinegar will give your windows a streak free shine.  I like to take some birdcloth after the newspaper and really "shine" 'em up.  Ooo lala!

For even MORE vinegar tips (this is one of my favorite cleaning solutions BTW!!)  go here: 


2. Clean Out That Fridge
Did you realize that the fuller your fridge is the more INEFFICIENT it is?  Yeah, I know!  I had NO clue.  But, alas.  It is true.  So this is a two fold tip. 

Clean out that fridge not only to save on the science experiments for the kiddos, but ensure that your fridge isn't constantly running and using up incredibly precious electrical power.  You could save a little bit of cash just by cleaning it out.  Oh, and you'll feel better when you open that fridge up too!  Trust me.

Here's how:

Take about 2 tablespoons of baking soda and swish it around in about a cup to a cup and a half of water.  Take your newspaper or natural sponge (or even an old upcycled tee towel, old washed T-shirt... just NOT paper towels for crying out loud!) and dip it in the solution.  Wipe down your shelves.  I'd rinse your cloth out a couple of times if your fridge is super dirty. Keep dipping that cloth into the solution.  You'll be surprised at how easily the gunk comes off.  And, if you have some stubborn gunk (I had some jelly caked in the bottom of mine.  How the heck did THAT get there?) just pour a little bit of the solution onto the stain and come back to it. 

Don't forget to clean the inside of that door too!  Like... EW!

3. Have a Yard Sale!
Ok.  So how is this a chemical free cleaning tip and how is it going to help?

Here's how.  It's chemical free SOUL CLEANSING.  Ever notice how stuff just starts piling up in your garage.  Bedroom.  Closet.  Living room?!!  Yeah.  I do.  So how does it get there?  My weakness is estate sales and free samples.  Yes.  I have a lot of faults, and free samples are definitely one of the biggest ones.  My built in cabinets in the hallway are FULL of samples. Why?  Beats me.

So what's the solution?  Clean out and clear out.  Sell all those unused samples, and all those books you bought for a dime at last year's flea market and just have some good old fashioned FUN with the money that you make.

The key here is NOT to buy more junk with it.  *wink*

4. Clean that bathroom!
Good natural lemon juice is AMAZING.  It's a naturally good smelling fruit that has an absolute incredible cleaning power.  So get some lemons (or you can just buy the lemon juice but it comes in a plastic container... that you'll have to throw away.  ICK!) and squeeze the juice out.  Strain the pulp out of course, then mix the lemon juice into some water. 

I'd say 2 lemons for every 2 cups of water.  I only say that because I'm a STRONG cleaner type of gal.  I need that strength when I'm cleaning my bathroom.  I live in a house full of boys.

I digress.

Now, just put that solution in a spray bottle (here's where the pulp straining is going to be helpful or it will clog your sprayer) and spray your tub.  Let it sit for a little bit and wipe off with your natural sponge or your upcycled cloth.  Nice.  Do the same for the potty - and do it a few times if you live with boys. 

Seriously.  Take my advice on this one! 

Ok.  That's all for now.  This post is getting WAY out of control.  I could go on for days. I'll do a part 2 in a day or so!  YIPPEE!

Peace out!  Have fun cleaning my dears!

Have any of your own eco tips?  PLEASE POST THEM BELOW!!

No comments:

Post a Comment