Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

New Recycling Program in the SediluGreen household

I don't have any fancy photos of the trash cans, but here's me taking out the trash!


Oh I'm SOOOO joking!  I thought this was sort of a funny photo, so I had to put it up here. She doesn't look like she should be taking out the trash!  LOL!!

Ok, back to business.  Ahem.

So here are the type of trash cans we got.  Again, nothing fancy!  We line them with plastic trash bags (AGH!  What?!) But rest assured!!  They're earth friendly and recyclable (shew).



We have ALWAYS recycled plastic.  Ever since I have made it my personal mission to eliminate as much plastic from our lives as possible (hello, EcoStuffers anyone??!!), we have recycled plastic.  Yay us!  

But then I realized that all that good feeling that I felt while I was chucking all that plastic into a trash can strategically placed right outside the cabinet that held the "trash" trashcan was washed out by all the trash that we could RECYCLE that was being put into the outside cans. 

*sigh*

So here's what we did.  We got more trash cans.  I know - just what every American woman wants... MORE TRASH CANS!  Yay!  

So I went to Wal-Mart and picked up 3 more trash cans and put them outside the utility room door.  Fancy.  Eh, not really.  But it was much better than having 4 trash cans all lined up!  

We are proud to say that we are now recycling the following: 

  • Tin Cans (veggie cans and the sort)
  • Newspapers 
  • Magazines and all junk mail (shredding important stuff like credit card offers, bank statements, etc.)
                                        **Note that all shreds should be recycled too!**
  • Plastic

It feels good.  Also, we have an unexpected benefit to all of this recycling.  Our trash bill has been reduced by half because we no longer have to pay for two cans per week.  Woop woop!  So that saves us $16/month.  Nice!!  

I'm going to be doing a post about the benefits of recycling today and I think it's going to be pretttttyyyy interesting!!  

See you soon!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment