Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Environmental Effects of Plastic Bags

As we all  know, I am a very strict non-plastic bag user.  There are so many issues with plastic bags! Environmental issues mainly.  Next is the cost.  The cost of using plastic bags in the grocery stores is about .03/bag.  Guess where that money goes?  Straight onto the cost of the food we buy!  Yes.  YOU are paying for your own plastic bags at the grocery store.  I was a little taken aback by that fact as well, however, think about it - you think that a store is just going to GIVE you something for free?  Ummm... not so much.  

The dangers of plastic and plastic bags extends WAY beyond grocery sacks.  It extends right into our lunches.  Go to a school one day and watch the waste in each and every lunch period.  You'll be shocked.  In countries like Japan, they have more nutritious lunches (which is a whole other topic altogether!) and they reuse everything.  They put up their chopsticks after washing them off for use the next day.  Amazing.  No waste?  

Check these statistics out regarding waste in our schools.  Mind boggling: 

That comes from this site which is FABULOUS!!

I had a lovely woman stationed in Australia order a bunch of items from me because they have what is called a "waste-free" lunch.  Woah.  What a concept!  I was pretty much enthralled with this idea and wanted to start an initiative within my area.  But, alas, day job!  (again, another story!!)  

Here is another story that touched me... Ugh.  Can you imagine this?!!

So the reduction of plastic waste, even if it's just in one household or an entire country saves much more than money.  It saves the environment and I have to say - I want my child(ren) and their children to grow up on a world of beauty and wonder - just as I did.  

I found this little video that explains just a little bit.


Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Pointing out the price plastic bags add to our food costs is a good way to make the non-greenies wise up. If you can't hit 'em in their hearts, hitting 'em in their wallets usually works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete