Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sewing My Heart Out... Learning Every Step of the Way!

I've been cutting and sewing my heart out the past couple of days.  I'm determined to have at least 50 products in my inventory by mid next week... I have off this weekend and my new SediluGreen labels are being shipped on Friday so they should be here Monday... Which is ok, but I'll need to sew until my fingers bleed on Monday.  Right now I'm just getting my products ready to rock and roll and getting them the "insert label now" stage.  This is something that I'm trying out and I think that it will work out!  

So this is what I've learned so far when starting a crafty dealy business thingy.

1.  You can't solely work "on demand" making products.  Meaning, make sure you don't have to cut, pin, sew, cut, fix, and everything EACH time you work on something.  It's going to be EXHAUSTING.  I've found this out the hard way.  Do a LOT of background work.  If you sew, cut your fabric in sizes you need first.  This is a good start.  So that when you do need to make your wares, you have everything done and cut and ready to rock and roll.

2.  Make sure you have a good built inventory! This way you're not scrambling to make an order of 1 or 2 items, even if you have some background work done.  Build your inventory so that when you get an order, you can just ship it out and not have to work on the item EACH and every time you sell something!

3.  Ensure that you have GREAT photos.  A great photo is going to take you a long way.  Trust me.  I am super anal about my photos.  I have to have the perfect lighting.  Perfect background.  Perfect angle.  I'm a perfectionist.  What can I say??

3b.  As an addition to #3, make sure that you have a BUNCH of products to photograph at once.  This way you're not pulling out your lights every time, setting up your spot every time, etc.  Get as much as you possibly can together so that you can just rock it out and get your products photographed all at once.  I know that me personally - I photograph my stuff on my fireplace bricks in my living room.  So, I have 4 HUGE lights that I have to get out, set up, plug in, make sure no one goes NEAR my setup (I've had 2 mishaps where the light has been knocked over and had to spend $70+ to replacement bulbs!!) and photograph.  The setup alone takes about 25 - 30 minutes.  I'm busy.  I don't have that kind of time to do that every time I need to take pics.

Then I edit all my photos in one swoop.  Awesome.  Like a well-oiled machine.

4.  Just have fun, stay focused and stay organized!  Once you start feeling all poopy, stop.  Take a break.  Do something else and go back to your stuff later!

I'm going to be announcing my blog to the world soon.  I just wanted to get some decent content to entice people to actually care.  LOL  So... Care please!  I'm fun.  I promise!  I have a lot of good content!  I promise!  Ok.  You don't have to believe me.  HAHA! 

SEE YA!

Dinnetta

2 comments:

  1. holey smokes....I am so bad with photos...I am what I call a happy snapper...just point and click and hope it works...LOL....shocking really when hubby is a photographer in the Airforce and I am so pedantic about what I make....wish I had a passion for the camera like you do...hugs Khris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I wouldn't call it a passion... I would call it a sickness... perfectionism! :)

    ReplyDelete